A-thons: What you need to know
Forget the paper forms – online a-thon fundraisers are the easy (and fun) way to raise funds for the causes you care about most.
Think of an online a-thon campaign as your typical “pledge per” fundraiser, but without all the hassle! No more paper forms. No more manually tracking donors down for payment.
How does an online a-thon work?
- Donors visit your fundraising page and make their donation to a participant on your campaign.
- They can pledge to donate a certain amount per each unit of activity completed; for example, they might agree to donate $5 per mile in a jog-a-thon, or $3 per word successfully completed in a spell-a-thon. If they prefer, they can also make a flat, one-time donation.
- After the actual a-thon event, you’ll enter activity results.
- Once the campaign is finalized, the donors’ credit cards are charged per units of activity completed by the participants.
The flexibility of an online a-thon
Not only do online a-thon fundraisers simplify the fundraising process by eliminating a lot of the manual work traditionally involved, but they’re also really flexible in their capabilities!
An online a-thon campaign can:
- Spur competition and excitement by offering prizes for different fundraising efforts
- Involve a single participant performing the activity
- Have team/peer-to-peer fundraising (to allow more than one participant to raise funds on your campaign)
When team fundraising is enabled, each participant and team will receive their own personal fundraising page to share with their network. RallyUp will calculate the amount raised for each participant and team and display this on their respective pages.
Can I see a sample a-thon?
Here is a link to a sample a-thon fundraiser.
How much does it cost?
There are two pricing options for running an a-thon. Visit our a-thon page to view available pricing options, including our free pricing model funded by optional donor tips.
How to promote your campaign
To begin making progress towards your fundraising goals, spread the word about your a-thon to as many people as possible. Sharing your fundraiser with the greatest number of potential donors increases exposure and may make others more likely to share your cause with people in their network, too. You can share the link to your fundraiser on social media, and send an email to your donors, family, and friends to get the word out.
Additionally, our free text-to-give tool is an ideal way to generate donations at live events. It allows you to promote a designated keyword and number so people can text and receive a link to the campaign on their phone. They can then make a donation at their convenience on their mobile device. Find out more about how to use this innovative feature in the article below:
Finally, you can also live stream your event to allow anyone who can’t attend to still participate. People can watch your event unfolding as it happens on your fundraiser page, which can help to incentivize real-time donations. Learn more about this option below:
Ready to get started?
Click here to create an account and get started. There is no charge to create an account. And the best part is, we won’t send you any unwanted emails for signing up!
You can create some test campaigns to get a feel for the ease of setup. Preview your campaign anytime by clicking the ‘Preview’ button at the bottom of any page in the campaign setup.
Got questions along the way?
We’re here to help! Our team is available via chat on our website during normal business hours. Just hit the orange message button in the bottom right of your screen. You can also search our knowledge base for answers.