How to credit a write-in donation
Learn how to update pledges that were not assigned to a registered member so you can give credit to the appropriate participants.
If you are running a pledge campaign, you will have participants/students/players* involved to help raise funds. Donors can choose a participant's name from a drop-down menu during the checkout process. This will ensure the donation is credited to that participant and will go towards their total funds raised.
If a donor can't find the name of the participant (for instance, maybe the participant has not signed up yet), there is an option to write-in the name of the participant. This will allow the donation to be credited at a later time. In this case, the campaign administrators will receive an email containing a link and instructions on how to credit that donation correctly.
It's always a good idea to check and make sure that all the write-in donations have been credited before finalizing a campaign. You can do this by exporting the spreadsheet from the view contributions* button in the campaign management menu. On the far right of the exported spreadsheet, you will see a column entitled write-in-credit. If there are no names in that column, this means that all of the write-in donations have been credited. If you do see a name there, you can still credit the donation to that member by following these steps.
- Click on my campaigns in the left menu.
- If you have chosen list view, click on the title of the campaign. If you have chosen grid view, click on the campaign image.
- Click view contributions.*
- Search for the donor's name.
- Hover your mouse over the donation.
- Click on the three dot menu on the far right of the line.
- Click edit contribution.*
- Click the blue edit button under “choose the participant(s)”.
- Enter the participant’s name and click save.
If you are unable to find the participant in which to credit the donation, you can add the participant and then follow the steps above. Click here to learn how to add participants.
Good to Know:
- It's best to make sure that you’ve credited all write-in donations before finalizing the campaign and credit cards are charged, as you will not be able to go back and do so after the campaign has been finalized.
*Note: Terminology on these buttons may be different according to the terminology that you’ve chosen for your campaign.